City of Pelican Rapids 




June 24, 2008

8:30 a.m.


The City of Pelican Rapids Park Board held its regular meeting at 8:30 a.m., Tuesday, June 24, 2008, Council Chambers, City Hall, 315 N Broadway.  Board Members, Denise Magnusson, Cary Johnson and Mel Zierke were present.  City Administrator Don Solga, Street and Park Superintendent Brian Olson and Secretary Kristi Skramstad were present. Brenda Brand and Library Director Annie M Wrigg were also present. Board Members Ross Wamre and Sandy Irey were absent.


The meeting was called to order by Chairman Mel Zierke.


Denise Magnusson made a motion to approve the May 27, 2008 minutes. Cary Johnson seconded the motion. Motion passed unanimously.


Additions / Deletions to Agenda:     


Additions:       Land Appraisal


Council Actions:  None


Chair Project:


Denise Magnusson reported that 6 of the 8 chairs have been received.  Denise is storing them along with some paint that was found at Historic City Hall.  Denise has let Chip Cooper know the chairs have arrived.  They will be painted during the 2008-09 school year.  Denise will contact Lake Region Electric employee volunteers to assemble the chairs.


Area By Liquor Store:


Sandy Irey was going to contact Oktoberfest for funding of the columns for the flag poles.  The estimate is $3,000.  Item will be on next month’s agenda.  


Pool Update:


Brian Olson reported he has received many positive comments on the pool and it seems to be running smoothly.  Anne Peterson is the Pool Manager and Jessica Holte is the Head Lifeguard and Swimming Lesson Instructor.  They have held some fun activities at the pool and more are planned.  Brian stated there are still some filtration issues at the pool.


220 Power in E.L. Peterson Park:  Brian got an estimate for $800.  Mel said he has also had a request for 220 power in Sherin Park.  Brian will get a quote and have someone locate a power source.  Location for the power was discussed.  Mel stated the vendor he talked to last year after Art In The Park was willing to pay extra each year to have the power available.  Brenda Brand said she can try and include it in the Chamber’s budget for next year since they are starting the budget process.  Don stated that the City does not have any funds for this project.


BBQ Pits - Rotary:


Brian recommended the discussion be tabled.  He has heard new information and wants to follow up.  Annie stated she had attended a Rotary meeting where the BBQ pits were discussed.  Discussion on presentation to Rotary regarding the condition of the BBQ pits, who will pay to move or rebuild them and location. Possibility of presenting pictures of the existing BBQ pits to Rotary and asking for Rotary members to work with Park Board on ideas to improve the BBQ pits.


Antique Store Sign:


Mel will go talk to the store manager.  Item will be on next month’s agenda.


Land Appraisal:


Don reported that the Pelican Rapids Apartments, LLC are willing to donate the land if the City will pay for an appraisal. Discussion.


Denise Magnusson made a motion to recommend to Council that the City pay for an appraisal in order to acquire this land.  Cary Johnson seconded the motion.  Motion passed unanimously.  Don will present it to Council at the July 14 meeting.


Budget items were discussed. 


Brian said he would talk to owners of property near the river regarding the sidewalk along the river. 


Sherin Park campsites were discussed.  Brian stated we need to budget money for an engineer to put some plans and a proposal together.  Don told Brian to contact Ulteig Engineers to get an estimate to survey the area.


Mel was wondering if flag poles from the Liquor Store area were going to be put on top of the dam. Brian said the poles are in fair condition but he would have to measure them to see how they would look.  Brian will get estimate for the concrete work to install the flag poles on the dam for next year. 


Veterans’ Memorial River Park Transportation Enhancement Grant was discussed.  Mel suggested looking at the plans previously done for the Library.  Once the bridge size is determined by the county the rest of the area will have to be re-worked to accommodate that.  Don suggested contacting the Senior Citizens to get a representative to work with the Park Board when we know the size of the bridge.


Brian also mentioned he needs to budget a new heating/air conditioning unit and lighting for Historic City Hall.  He will be getting estimates.


The meeting was adjourned at 9:30 am.


Kristi Skramstad

Park Board Secretary

Official Website of the City Of Pelican Rapids, Minnesota