City of Pelican Rapids 




April 1, 2008

8:30 a.m.


The City of Pelican Rapids Park Board held its regular meeting at 8:30 a.m., Tuesday, April 1, 2008, Council Chambers, City Hall, 315 N Broadway.  Board Members Mel Zierke, Denise Magnusson, Cary Johnson and Sandy Irey were present.  City Administrator Don Solga, Street and Park Superintendent Brian Olson and Secretary Kristi Skramstad were present. Theresa Halverson and Nancy Buck from Lake Region Electric Cooperative were also present.


Board Member Ross Wamre and Colton Stone were absent.


Chairman Mel Zierke called the meeting to order.


Sandy Irey made a motion to approve the February 26, 2008 minutes. Denise Magnusson  seconded the motion. Motion passed unanimously.


Additions / Deletions to Agenda:     


Additions:       E.L Peterson Park Sign


Deletions:       Sherin Park, Rotary BBQ Pits,  


Lake Region Electric Cooperative Employees - Planters:


Theresa Halverson explained that Lake Region Electric Cooperative has been struggling for volunteers for watering the planters.  She stated that Lake Region Electric Cooperative will still donate money toward the flowers for the planters and they will maintain the planter near Lake Region Electric.  Mel Zierke thanked them for all the years of helping with the planters and their efforts were greatly appreciated.  Theresa Halverson stated that if there are other projects to keep Lake Region Electric Cooperative employees in mind.  They enjoyed doing the planter project. The watering tank will return to the city.  There was a discussion on purchasing the pump.  Brian Olson will look into it.  There was also a discussion on planter placement.  Brian Olson would like to see the planters more condensed downtown.  Sandy Irey suggested that businesses be contacted to find out if they will take care of their own planters.  Sandy Irey will contact the businesses. Denise Magnusson volunteered to help maintain the plants.  Brian Olson will take care of ordering any planters.  Mel Zierke suggested a letter be written to Lake Region Electric employees, Kristi will draft a letter for members to sign.


Brick Wall By Liquor Store:


Cary Johnson presented his idea which showed the brick wall being replaced with gazebos.  Brian Olson stated that this may be a future project as the budget is an issue.  Brian Olson suggested for now that we remove the wall and 6 planters be placed there. Brian got quote of $1,500 to remove the brick wall. Sandy Irey suggested benches and planters.  Don Solga stated that we need to show the council exactly what the plan is.  Cary Johnson will email pictures to Don Solga.  Mel Zierke will work on photo to present to council.  Mel thanked Cary for his work on this project.


Council Actions:


There were no council actions since that last meeting.


Skating Rink Recap:


Brian Olson said that he felt like the rink ran well for the most part this season.  They should be able to better level the rink next year.  Brian suggested the rink remain in the new location.  He is working out the details with the school.  Mel thanked Brian’s department for a great job.


Chair Project:


Denise Magnusson has ordered 8 chairs at $42.89 per chair.  They will come unassembled.  She stated that still leaves some money for paint and supplies.


Tree Trimming:


Mel Zierke presented a before and after picture to Marlys Johnson. Mel will follow up with her.  A letter thanking Marlys for allowing the River Runs North sign on her building was signed by members.


Senior Citizen – Library Parking:


Don Solga stated he would check with Interstate Engineering to see if this area is part of the grant project they are working on.  There was a discussion on the area.  Don will have the drawing and updated information at next meeting.  The shelter was discussed and Brian stated he has no plan to remove the shelter as of yet.


Other Park Board Items:


Mel Zierke reminded Brian’s department to remove Pelican Pete’s winter hat and scarf.  Brian stated they have that item scheduled.


E.L. Peterson Park sign – Sandy Irey stated there should be an additional sign in the alley to direct visitors to E.L. Peterson Park.  Brian will look into it.


The Antique Store letters were discussed, still no response from them.  Someone will need to approach them once store is open.


Park sign painting was discussed.  Cary will have someone contact Brian.


Brian Olson gave an update on the pool.  Ads are still in the paper for positions.  Some applications have been received.


Annual Walk Thru of Parks – Members were encouraged to walk thru their designated parks and report back at next meeting or let Brian know of the situation.


There was a discussion on the trail system.


The next meeting will be the last Tuesday in April.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:15 am.


Kristi Skramstad

Park Board Secretary

Official Website of the City Of Pelican Rapids, Minnesota