City of Pelican Rapids 




May 29, 2007

8:30 a.m.


The City of Pelican Rapids Park Board held its regular meeting at 8:30 a.m., Tuesday, May 29, 2007, Council Chambers, City Hall, 315 N Broadway.  Board Chairman Mel Zierke, Board Members, Denise Magnusson, Cary Johnson, Jessica Toftely were present.   Street and Park Superintendent Brian Olson, Park Employee Kevin Bakken, City Administrator Don Solga and Secretary Kristi Skramstad present.  Johanna Christianson and Sam Buck were also present.


Board Members Ross Wamre, Sandy Irey and Becky Benhardus were absent.


Approval of April 24, 2007 Minutes


Denise Magnusson made a motion to approve the April 24, 2007 minutes.  Cary Johnson seconded the motion.  Motion passed unanimously.


Additions to Agenda:            

Johanna Christianson - Friendship Festival Banner

Sam Buck – Eagle Scout Project

Mel Zierke - Property


Yohanna Christianson – Friendship Festival Banner:


Johanna Christianson asked permission to put a large Friendship Festival Banner on railing above Pelican Pete.  The banner would be up from the beginning of June until June 23.


Denise Magnusson made a motion to allow the Friendship Festival to hang their banner on the railing above Pelican Pete.  Cary Johnson seconded the motion.  Motion passed unanimously.


Johanna Christianson also stated that members of the Youth Crew are interested in becoming Student Park Board Members and thanked the Park Board for allowing them to participate.


Johanna Christianson was thanked for coming.


Sam Buck – Eagle Scout Project:


Sam Buck is interested in shingling the shelter in E.L. Peterson Park this summer as part of his Eagle Scout project.  He stated he would be donating the labor and is hoping the City will provide the materials.  It is a 24X50 structure.  He has a professional person to supervise him with his project. There was discussion about the costs for the project, since it had not been budgeted for.  The item will be on next month’s agenda.


Council Actions Since April 24, 2007 Meeting: 


None since last meeting.


Student Terms: 


Jessica Toftely and Becky Behardus are both seniors and their terms are up now.  Jessica stated she didn’t know what her plans are for the summer and that she would like this to be her last meeting.  The Park Board thanked them for serving on the Park Board.


Trinity Church / Sherin Park: 


Don Solga stated that Gene Miller has been contacting property owners about easements for a bike/walking path.  He has also been contacting service groups.  This project is in line with the Comprehensive Plan that was approved by the Council. 


Brian Olson stated that Ross Wamre had dropped off plans for the Sherin Park area but Brian did not have time to review them before today’s meeting.  Item will be on next month’s agenda.


Mel Zierke – Other Property:


Mel Zierke presented a map that showed the lot between Seifert Realty and Jimmy’s Pizza which is currently owned by Steve Backstrom.  Steve had approached Mel about possibly donating the land to the City for the path.  He is hoping there would be benches and a display for acknowledgements of those who contributed to the bike path.  There was a discussion.


Cary Johnson made a motion that if this land becomes available as a donation to the City that the City Council should consider accepting it as part of the bike/walking path.  Denise Magnusson seconded the motion. Motion passed unanimously.


Mel Zierke also stated that Jimmy’s Pizza has contacted him regarding putting some tables on the lot to the south of them.  Don Solga stated they would need to find out who owned the lot and then talk to City Hall.


Swimming Pool:


Don Solga stated that Olson Pools came and looked at the pool and there is leaking around the lights which needs to be caulked.  They also recommended changing some valves to a newer, better style when they come to do the pressure check.  Olson Pools is sending quote for new valves.


Kevin Bakken presented an update on the personnel at the pool since Jessica Hibl, Aquatics Director was unable to attend.  Kevin stated that all the lifeguards have been hired and Jessica is considering appointing a head lifeguard.  The lifeguards for the 2007 season are: Kirsten Haugrud, Lexie Thorson, Jill Hesteness, Brandon Haugrud, Amy Field, Amanda Gilbertson, Shantae Sachs and Jessica Holte (but not until August). Don Solga stated that the City does not have a job description or pay scale for head lifeguard and this may create other issues.  It was decided that Brian Olson should talk to Jessica and there should not be a head lifeguard.  New water toys for the pool and new lifeguard shirts will need to be purchased as has been typically done in the past.  A closing policy for the lifeguards on storm days was discussed.  Brian stated they should come in and report to work and stay for one hour.  There are things that can be done such as cleaning in that time.  If the weather does not clear up so the pool can open, then the lifeguards scheduled that day will be able to leave.  They will be paid for that hour they are there.  Brian will write a revision to the pool policy.  He will have Jessica look at it.


The cost of swimming lessons was discussed, it was decided to stay with the $25 fee they have charged in the past.




No update.  Take off agenda until Don Solga has another update.


Skate Park:


No estimate yet for moving the Skate Park to the east side of Thompson Park.


Other Park Board Items:


Some trees were planted in Thompson Park.


Mel Zierke stated that Thompson Park holds a lot of water.  Brian said this will have to budgeted for in 2008, the field will need to be crowned, sprinkler heads will need to be raised and the turf will need to be upgraded.


Don Solga reviewed capital item budgets.  He explained that we can move money from another project to do shingling on the shelter once we get estimates.  He reviewed other items on the 3 to 5 year plan to see if items need to be budgeted for.


The Pelican project was discussed.  Kevin Bakken will talk to Julie Meyer at The Press to find out where the pelicans are going to be stored until they are un-veiled this summer.


We still need prices for Sherin Park improvements if they are to get in the budget.  Item will be on next month’s agenda.  Kevin suggested putting new sinks in the bath house and using cheaper faucets.  It was decided to keep $2,400 in the budget for this.


The parking lots in River Park were discussed.  It was suggested that $1,000 be budgeted for each starting in 2008.  This item may turn into a general fund item at a later date.


There was a discussion about Sherin Park path and camping.  It was decided to invite Gene Miller to the June Park Board meeting to bring us up to speed on this project.


Other agenda Items for June will be plans for Sherin Park camping, language for pool policy closing in bad weather and shingling E.L Peterson Park shelter.


Kevin Bakken asked the Park Board to keep in mind other projects for the Boy Scouts.


Mel Zierke asked if the flower bed by Pelican Pete was going to be moved this summer and Brian stated it is on his list.


Kevin Bakken stated that the pool will open for the season as weather permits, they were hoping for an opening date of June 4th, but with so much rain lately that may get pushed back a bit.


Brian Olson stated he is still waiting to hear from the school regarding the Skating Rink.


Meeting adjourned at 10:00 am



Kristi Skramstad

Park Board Secretary

Official Website of the City Of Pelican Rapids, Minnesota