City of Pelican Rapids 




January 29, 2008

8:30 a.m.


The City of Pelican Rapids Park Board held its regular meeting at 8:30 a.m., Tuesday, January 29, 2008, Council Chambers, City Hall, 315 N Broadway.  Board Members Mel Zierke, Denise Magnusson, Ross Wamre and Sandy Irey were present.  City Administrator Don Solga, Street and Park Superintendent Brian Olson and Secretary Kristi Skramstad were present.  Johanna Christianson and Colton Stone were also present. Board Member Cary Johnson was absent.


Chairman Mel Zierke called the meeting to order.


Approval of November 27, 2007 Minutes


Sandy Irey made a motion to approve the November 27, 2007 minutes.  Ross Wamre seconded the motion.  Motion passed unanimously.


Additions / Deletions to Agenda:     


Additions:       Chairperson for 2008


Ross Wamre made a motion to appoint Mel Zierke was chairman.  Motion passed unanimously.


Deletions:       Sherin Park, Rotary BBQ Pits & Brick Wall by Liquor Store


Chair Project:


Johanna Christianson donated $500 to be designated for the chair project in December of 2007.  She would like to see the Park Board pursue expanding the chair project.  Johanna has talked to Chip Cooper and Chip is willing to take on the project.  She wants to work with kids to get the chairs painted.  Chip does not want to be responsible for purchasing the chairs.  Sandy Irey stated there are 2 chairs that she knows of that are in need of repair.  Denise Magnusson volunteered to again work with the chair project.  Johanna stated it would be fine with her once the chairs are purchased to use the rest of the money to repair the chairs.


Ross Wamre made a motion to accept Johanna Christianson’s donation of $500 to purchase 6 chairs, the balance to be used for repairs and painting expenses.  Sandy Irey seconded the motion.  Motion passed unanimously.  Mel Zierke thanked Johanna for her donation.


Student Park Board Members:


Johanna Christianson introduced Colton Stone.  Colton is a senior at Pelican Rapids High School.  He has helped with the International Friendship Festival in the past.  Mel Zierke thanked him for coming.  He was directed to pick up an application if he was interested in becoming a member.



Council Actions Since Last Meeting:


There were no council actions to report.


Skating Rink:


Brian Olson reported that the rink is now operating very well.  There were some challenges in relocating the rink.  The rink has 3 part time employees, Lyman Jones, Dalmar Lammers & Joe Erickson.  The rink has been active and the ice has been good.  There have been no decisions as to permanent placement at the new location.  Brian stated the warming house will have to be relocated in the off season.


Community Map (Antique Store):


Kristi Skramstad mailed the owners a letter dated November 30, 2007.  No response to date.  Kristi will draft a second letter to them.


Tree Trimming:


Mel Zierke has talked to Marlys Johnson. She is thinking about trimming the tree.  Brian Olson reported that Marlys has allowed the River Runs North sign to be placed on her building.  The sign is now installed.  Kristi will send a thank you letter to Marlys.


Cooper Stewart Land Conveyance:


Don explained that Cooper & Lisa Stewart have donated acreage on the northeast part of town to be used for a trail system.  Gene Miller is working on verbal easements.  Once this is completed, the city attorney will draft written easements for owners to sign.  This land needs to be secured before grants can be applied for.  It was decided to invite Gene Miller to the February meeting so we can see his plan so far.


Jeff Pogalz Land:


Don Solga reported that he was received a verbal commitment to donate this parcel.  At this time they are still waiting for documents to complete the process.


The 3 to 5 Year Plan Review: 


Brian Olson stated he would talk to State Bank and Trust regarding the sidewalk by the windmill.


Sherin Park was discussed.  Ross Wamre will present a preliminary layout at the February meeting. This item will also be listed in 2011.


Parking by the Senior Center and the Library was also discussed.  Ross will bring a layout to the February meeting.




Veterans’ Memorial River Park was discussed.  Don stated he had a bid from an engineering firm and explained the Council’s selection process of that engineering firm.  There was a discussion on this process.  Sandy Irey stated she was very disappointed in Council for going out of town for this project.  Ross Wamre stated there are 2 engineers that reside in Pelican Rapids and are involved in the community and would have liked the opportunity to bid on this project.  So this project is not held up any longer, Interstate Engineering will move forward with this project, but in the future the Park Board would like to see Council open these projects up for bids.


The next meeting will be the last Tuesday in February. The meeting was adjourned at 10:10 am.


Kristi Skramstad

Park Board Secretary

Official Website of the City Of Pelican Rapids, Minnesota